The latest stock market, financial and business news
Read the latest stock market, financial and business news provided by MarketWatch.
- Outside the Box: Peloton’s stock price is disconnected from reality, and it will fall below $15 before hitting bottomon January 22, 2022 at 3:22 pm
Watch for rising competition from Apple, Amazon and others as well as no improvement in profitability.
- Market Extra: How a Russian invasion of Ukraine could trigger market shock waveson January 22, 2022 at 3:11 pm
Tensions over Ukraine aren't rattling financial markets so far, but investors still appear likely to snap up traditional safe-haven assets should Russia invade, market watchers said.
- Earnings Outlook: Johnson & Johnson’s got a new CEO and a plan to split the company in two. Here’s what else to expect out of J&J’s earningson January 22, 2022 at 3:06 pm
Johnson & Johnson has long been viewed as a bellwether stock for other health care companies.
- : ‘There’s no retirement in this job,’ gig workers sayon January 22, 2022 at 2:59 pm
Dean Rainer finds it hard to believe that anyone would think gig workers can save for retirement.
- Earnings Outlook: Tesla earnings: News about the Cybertruck and new factories could set the tone for 2022on January 22, 2022 at 2:49 pm
Tesla Inc. is scheduled to report fourth-quarter earnings next Wednesday, as investors expect a return of Chief Executive Elon Musk to the post-results call and brace for what could be worrying news for the Cybertruck and supply-chain snags.
- Earnings Outlook: Intel still has a lot to prove to Wall Street one year after Pat Gelsinger came homeon January 22, 2022 at 2:48 pm
Intel Corp. had a rough 2021, and it looks like the chip maker will still face Wall Street criticism in 2022 for its ambitious capital investment plan and the success of competitors amid continuing delayed releases.
- : Can Microsoft acquisition cure Activision’s toxic workplace?on January 22, 2022 at 2:43 pm
Besides concerns about antitrust scrutiny and a record $68.7 billion price tag, Microsoft Corp.'s planned acquisition of Activision Blizzard Inc. also raises a key question: How will it deal with the videogame company's notorious workplace culture?
- Deep Dive: This is the window of time when value can outperform growth in the stock marketon January 22, 2022 at 2:41 pm
Companies categorized as "value" are expected by analysts to increase earnings more quickly than their growth peers.